Well, four days in and I had my first “oh no can’t get it done on the iPad moment.” Commence the I toldjaso’s haters!
I had to amend a contract and email it out. I had already successfully gotten it onto the iPad. But when I opened it in Pages – whether from Goodreader or Air Sharing – the formatting was a mess. It also had to replace the font (!) Surprise!!
I futzed with things a little bit before I realized that I am not (yet) adept enough at Pages to quickly fix things like this. If I’d had an hour to play with it I am sure I could’ve cleaned up the document. But I didn’t have an hour.
So I rolled my bouncy ball seat over to the iMac and did what was necessary. Took all of 4 minutes to tweak and email out.
Ultimately I don’t blame the iPad per se, but rather Pages, and the bizarre limitations Apple built into it regarding formatting and fonts. And by the way the contract was what I’d otherwise consider a fairly simple document. Just text with various bullet/number subsections.
Whether Office from Microsoft or some other aggressive dev (still hoping Google brings full gdocs capabilities….), the productivity space is ripe for the pickin for whomever gets this right…