Well, it’s been a while. Sorry about that. I have been completely swamped putting together another film. We’ll start production officially this Monday, WWDC day. Whew! Cutting it close…
Anyway, I have been on the road – in LA to be exact – for weeks now, with only my iPad (and iPhone 3GS of course). I have to say – on the whole, you can pry the iPad out of my cold dead hands. I am NEVER going back to toting around a laptop. For me, it’s simply not necessary. The battery life on the iPad is completely ridiculous, the weight and form factor miraculous, and SO MUCH of the overall experience is simply phenomenal. A++++!!!
However, that’s why the remaining issues are so annoying! How Apple could’ve gotten this “so right” but missed the mark so badly in a few key areas is baffling. I can only hope this was a prioritization/resource allocation thing and that much/all of this will be addressed soon.
In no particular order, here are my biggest new and continued thoughts and gripes:
– The spacebar is too short left-to-right, and the .?123 keys are too large, particularly the one to the right of the spacebar. I would say that the vast majority of my typing errors are caused by inadvertently hitting the .?123 key instead of the spacebar. And the auto correct displays no ability to parse this error. Grr. Otherwise I flat out FLY typing on the keyboard in landscape. Why not make the keyboard easily configurable so we can adjust the size of those keys?
– The lack of a proper file system is still annoying but using goodreader as my primary file system app, with air sharing for printing duty (until that feature is added to goodreader) continues to be good enough for now. Goodreader continues to blow my mind in general. SO much functionality for a ridiculously cheap price.
– I saw that DocstoGo release their iPad app. I am tempted bc of its integration with various web services, and of course native ability to chew on Office files (not to mention Pages’ formatting issues and Numbers generally strange UI – more on that below). However, i am going to wait until OS4 is fully revealed, along with a hoped-for MobileMe overhaul, before switching my current workflow. WWDC is tomorrow. I can wait at least until then to see what news comes, if not for the actual OS4 release on the iPad itself.
– The ABC app crashes on me. A lot. Yes i have the latest version. Both wifi and 3G use cause the same problem. It freezes and I have to do a full reset to shake it loose. That takes too long btw.
– Pages is decent but Numbers is strange to me for now. I am learning, and i’m sure that sooner or later it’ll feel intuitive. But for now it sort of feels Iike I have to figure out simple navigation every time I use the thing.
– Autocorrect is strange. Why doesn’t it correct im to I’m instead of IM? And why does it think that hVe is a word? Oh and did I mentioned the caps key is too small? And why doesn’t it correct the letter i consistently?
– The word press app blows. No formatting tools. Can’t see stats. Etc. Is there a better tool?
– This thing attracts a LOT of attention, even in LA where I thought it’d be largely ignored. Nope. It’s a people magnet. Everyone wants to know how I like it. And everyone seems to be thinking of getting one. I know I have sold at least a dozen since I got here 🙂 “Leo” as I like to call him, glanced over it at Soho House (true story).
– I hate that you cant move messages from one email account into a folder for another email account. Hopefully the unified email inbox will fix that. Hate that you cant collapse nested email folders. (why didn’t it correct can’t in that last sentence?). Hate that you cant search in the body of emails (there it goes again with can’t).
So that’s it for now. Still love it. Will love it more as it improves.